Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

LandRover RangeRover multi misfires before and after

Customer Question

LandRover RangeRover multi misfires before and after valvecover gasket, sparkplugs, coil boots, and coils replaced
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The flashing light flashes to indicate there is a cylinder misfire detected.The reason it is designed to flash is because a misfire can damage the catalytic converter.In some cases the misfire will cause fuel to build up in the catalytic converter and can restrict the converter.If you have not had an exhaust back pressure test done this should be done to see if you have a restricted catalytic converter needing replaced.If this has been done and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I be looking for pressure wise before and after the cat? I know it is still misfiring the longer it runs the more misfire codes I get
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

With an exhaust back pressure test you want to thread a back pressure tester into the pre-catalytic converter oxygen sensor port with the oxygen sensor removed. Then start the engine and run it at idle and revved up and your exhaust back pressure should not exceed 1.5 psi at any RPM range.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exhaust back pressure on passenger side is 1 psi, drivers side gauge barely moves off zero. Did a engine compression teat while I was at it
clynder 1 122 psi
Clynder 2 120 psi
Clynder 3 122 psi
Clynder 4 122 psi
Clynder 5 118 psi
Clynder 6 118 psi
Clynder 7 116 psi
Clynder 8 120 psiConcern is finding the cause to the multiple clynder misfire
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The compression test results here looked to be okay is none are 20 psi or more in difference. The compression is a little lower than normal which in some cases can indicate a problem with timing. I would have the fuel injectors tested to make sure they are operating properly and have the timing inspected to make sure that there are no issues there as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the timing was off far enough to make cylinders on both banks misfire i would be getting cam/crank out of sync codes. I hooked up my Noids and each injector is getting its pulse. pulled them and checked for contamination or heavy deposits and there where none the likely hood of the majority of the injectors deciding to mechanically fail all at once is pretty slim.Are you an actual Landrover technician if not think we need to open this back up for someone who is
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize my info isn't helping here.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello - My name is ***** *****

as the previous exp has opted out of this question , I can help you further - can you tell me exactly where you are up to now ?

Then we can progress -

Also - what mileage does the LR have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Landrover has about 120,000 on her. It has new plugs, coil boots, valve cover gaskets. Engine compression pretty even, not seeing any contamination or blockage at the injectors. All the injectors have pulse. The spark plug chambers where completely filled with oil almost all the way to the coils themselves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
um hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I just ordered a set of bmw coils (long shot but thinking maybe they got oil contamination from the valve covers leaking) for it. Anyone on this site have an actual idea what could be going on with it if the coils don't fix it
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello again - This is MIKE.. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.. Im afraid I have been off with illness for a few days ..

Ok - let me know exactly where you are up to now - then we can go from there..

Once again -- Im sorry about that .

Rgds, MIKE.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi again -

Im sorry for the delay- To explain, because you had had an ongoing discussion with a previous expert, time for the question had passed and it timed out - so I lost you ! Im sorry about that , its just the way the system works - I have no control over that Im afraid.

As its been a couple of days now since you said you ordered the coils, Im assuming you have got them and tried them by now.... so how are things ? Can you bring me up to date?

Rgds - MIKE..........................