dr914jr
dr914jr, Technician
Experience:  I am a second generation Porsche technician and restoration specialist.
22612961

I just bought an 1997 rv and it was hardly used and mint

Customer Question

I just bought an 1997 rv and it was hardly used and mint condition, when I took it on a rest drive before I bought it yesterday it drive perfect. But while driving it home going up a big hill it wouldn't go faster that 45 and kept reving up and down while I pushed the gas to go faster but instead of gaining speed I lost speed and it kept reving up and down until I let off the gas?! Do you think it's something major? It drove fine going 65 mph otherwise just when it needed to kick down to accelerate it starting reving up and down?!
Category: Car
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic, and I also just found out it hasn't been used in 2 years. Do you think it's prob bad gas?
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

The surging engine and lack of power would indicate a lean condition. Probably not bad gas, but I would suggest replacing the fuel filter. If it is clogged, it may drive pretty normal until it is under load and really requires loads of fuel. If a plugged filter impedes the flow of fuel, you will experience a loss of power under load and surging at times. It may also be a failing fuel pump or a serious vacuum leak. I'd replace the filter no matter what. Second, I would test the fuel pressure at idle and under load.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

For sure, Have a great day and please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the he future.