Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Drove the truck during the day. went out 8 hours later, it

Customer Question

drove the truck during the day. went out 8 hours later, it ran for 3 seconds and died. afraid i air bound the fuel system. had 15 gal. of diesel or more. read of leaking filters so i changed the fuel filter. pumped the filter pump to bleed , sealed the filter,and tried a small shot of starting fluid. it ran for a second and cut out.re -bled the filter and tried again ,ran for a second and stopped.how do i bleed out the rail and tubing show of breaking the connections and hand pumping the lines. have done this on diesel compressors and generators , but they're mock more accessible. any insights would be appreciated. 2004 2500 hd duramax.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

When you bled the air out if the fuel filter with the pump, did you loosen the black plastic bolt on top of the filter housing next to the pump?

The bolt has a slot for a flat head screw driver but don't use it. It will strip out. Use a 13mm wrench (might be 12mm, I can't remember exactly).

Loosen the bolt and pump until fuel sprays out. Then tighten the bolt and pump a few more times. The engine should start without having to bleed the injectors if you do it this way.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional information. I hope that I have been of some assistance and would appreciate a positive rating if it have. Thanks!