Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Light on dashboard.....picture of engine ....lit up

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome..

- My name is MIKE.

How can I help you -?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

It appears you have gone off line - so to save you time I will give you an overview -

As you have an EML on ..( Engine Management Light ) . this is indicating that the ECU - management computer, has detected and logged a fault or faults, somewhere in the engine management systems...

This could be a sensor fault or wiring issues or even a fault with the main ecu itself... ( the latter is quite rare ) but you see the problem... it's impossible to guess where the fault(s) may be.

What you will need to do now is have the cars systems connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - preferably dealer level equipment... to read / scan the cars ecu - to retrieve the now stored / logged fault code(s)...

Once these are retrieved - then you / the user - will be directed to the area of fault and that can then be dealt with.

To be honest , its usually a sensor fault or a poor connection somewhere... but as I said earlier - it's impossible to guess.

What you can do on a DIY basis - is go around all the wiring connectors around the engine - giving them a tug and a wiggle... just in case you have a poor connection somewhere on one of the sensors / drivers etc... If you do happen to hit on one thats causing the light to come on - the light will usually go off then at the next "start" as the ecu will see the fault is cleared. ( Some cars you need to have the ecu cleared with the diagnostic equipment ) ...

So try that -its worth a try... but failing that - you will need to have it connected up to equipment as I've mentioned...

Many smaller garages have suitable equipment for these these days so if you cannot locate the fault yourself as above - then have a ring around to arrange to have that done and then it will get sorted.

Not always, but sometimes, the engine will hold back lacking power when this light is on - If you have this happening, this will be because of one of two reasons.... either its because of the actual fault in itself - or, the ecu has put the systems into whats called LHM - Limp Home Mode... this is a basic running mode -(default settings) to allow you to get home (or a garage ) rather than break down -- and this protects the systems - so that you cannot rev it above a certain range whilst the fault exists...

But again - the way forward on this is as above on this one now.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi there -

Thank you for your reply / comment..

-- per the way justanswer works, I do just need you now to click on the Ok/ Exc ratings for me please as that is how Im credited for helping you - Thank you for that -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi there -Thank you for your reply / comment..-- per the way justanswer works, I do just need you now to click on the Ok/ Exc ratings for me please as that is how Im credited for helping you - Thank you for that -Kind Rgds, MIKE.