Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

I HAVE A 2001 LOTUS ESPRIT V8. I HAVE JUST PUT A NEW TOP OF

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2001 LOTUS ESPRIT V8. I HAVE JUST PUT A NEW TOP OF THE LINE SEARS DIEHARD BATTERY IN THE CAR. WITH A VOLT METER, IT IS SHOWING 12.8 VOLTS INSTALLED IN THE CAR. I HAVE INTERIOR LIGHTS, ETC. WHEN I GO TO TURN THE ENGINE OVER TO START IT, IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. THE STARTER DOES NOT TURN OVER SO NATURALLY, THE ENGINE DOES NOTHING. PLEASE HELP !!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You may have an excellent battery, but you probably do not have a good chassis ground on the wire from the battery negative terminal. Loti are notorious for poor ground issues as they age. As an Elite S2 owner, I am not sure where they ground the battery on the Esprit V8, but, this is where I would start looking for potential problems. If you are going to look into this yourself, follow the negative battery cable until you come to the ground point, then clean the connection real good and make sure the metal is shiny. Also ensure that there is no corrosion inside the nylon cover for he battery cables. Any corrosion will reduce the power from the battery. Lastly,. it is possible that the contacts inside the starter are stuck. This too is a common problem, especially if the car is not utilized very often. Hope this helps you out.