Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 93 trooper LS 3.2 l DOHC 4x4 had problems with it

Customer Question

i have a 93 trooper LS 3.2 l DOHC 4x4 had problems with it starting replaced fuel pump and filter. ran some and now want start. will try to start with starting fluid. have fuel at engine but its like the injectors are not firing or something like that.
Category: Car
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

The reason why the engine won't start with starting fluid is probably a faulty crank sensor or its circuit. Both the ignition module, as well as the main computer, need to see a crank sensor signal that tells them the engine is being cranked by the starter before they will fire the coils and injectors.

To test the crank sensor/signal:

1. Crankshaft position sensor is located on lower right side of engine block, above oil pan. For testing, disconnect crankshaft position sensor connector at DIS module. Using DVOM, probe terminals B1 and B3. Resistance should be(###) ###-####ohms.
  2. If resistance is as specified, go to step 3). If resistance is not as specified, check wiring to sensor for open or shorts and repair as necessary. If wiring is okay, replace sensor (see attached graphic).
  3. With DVOM connected as in step 1), set DVOM to 2-volt AC scale and crank engine. Reading should fluctuate from 0.3 to 1.0 volt AC.

I'll be back online after 2 PM ET. If the above information was enough to help you solve your problem, kindly accept and rate my answer now. If not, please reply.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was not it. It gets fire no fuel

Hi again. If it's getting spark, then it should start and run momentarily with starting fluid. If it doesn't, check valve timing by running a compression check - should have about 150 psi on all 6 cylinders.