Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

There is a noise coming from my 2009 suzuki xl7 front

Customer Question

There is a noise coming from my 2009 suzuki xl7 front passenger side when the car is in motion. It sounds rougher at slower speeds and only occurs at a certain spot in the wheels rotation. I've lifted the car up, put it in neutral, and spun the wheel. The spot in the rotation seems to be coming from the awd shaft. Any idea what it might be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

is the noise from the area where the passenger side axle connects into the hub bearing area near the rotor ?

or is this noise from where the passenger side axle connects into the front transfer case ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like it is closer to the transfer case
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you could spin that tire and listen closer if you can can you hear the noise right where the axle goes into the transfer case or is it inside the transfer case itself making this noise ?

is there any signs of fluid leaks around the transfer case ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There wasn't any noise when i spun it. As I rotated the wheel, there were certain areas where I encountered a type of notch and i had to exert extra force to get over the "hump", but it was not on the same location of the tire's rotation
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

these are common for 2 things that will cause this type of noise

1 ) the passenger outer hub bearing is bad and binding which would cause a rotational noise especially when the wheel is on the ground and loaded

2 ) either the seal or bearing in the transfer case are in the front transfer case is making this noise which you need to be sure the fluid is clean and full and if it is usually the transfer case needs to come out and apart to visually see exaclty what is causing this noise inside the transfer case

the best action to be 100 % sure where this noise is coming from is to run this up in the air and see if you can hear the noise if you can narrow down the exact location of this noise

if it can not be heard up running it in the air then see if there is any up and down play felt in the passer wheel feeling for play with one hand at 12 and other at 6:00 postion

any play felt the hub bearing is more than likely the issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wheel does not have any play in it and the outer hub is secure. Could it be the tensioner? I see that it is a common problem for the suzuki
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

remove the belt and see if the noise is gone