Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

My son has my old (2003) LR Discovery and he's been locked

Customer Question

Hi. My son has my old (2003) LR Discovery and he's been locked out by the anti-theft feature. I never did figure it out, just jiggered things and usually got around it. Can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In most cases when this fault occurs here and you were able to jiggle the key or other components to get the vehicle to start this can indicate a fault with the Passive Remobilisation exciter coil which is located around the steering column lock cylinder (where the key inserts into).This coil is a common component that can fail or act up intermittently and cause an issue like this here.I suspect yours needs replaced.Usually what needs done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out of all computers to see what codes are set and then from there the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.This needs done with a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with all computers in your vehicle.

Thanks Pete