Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

We just purchased the vehicle listed. It has 201,500 miles.

Customer Question

Hello Tim -
We just purchased the vehicle listed. It has 201,500 miles. Unsure of previous owners repairs or upkeep. While in Park, I can depress the gas pedal but the RPMs will not go aobve 3500, and it also begins to bog down. As for driving; when I put the transmission into Drive, and not that I drive this way, I quickly depress the gas pedal, but the vehicle will not move faster than 25 mph. If I lift my foot off the pedal, and then go half way, it will pickup speed, but not enough to safely drive with traffic and it will then be slow and sluggish to obtain 35 mph. Frustrated, I released the pedal, and then floored it, and as you may guess..it maybe moved up another 5 miles per hour. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greately appreciated. I dont mind doing the repairs, I just dont want to start throughing good money, and the wrong repairs.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the most common issues are plugged fuel filters or low fuel pressure or restricted cat converters on these cars

if there are NO codes can you change the fuel filter and see if it still does this ?

if it does then remove the rear O2 sensor out of the rear exhaust manifold and take it for a quick ride it will be a little loud but this is just for testing

if the power comes back the cat needs to be replaced