Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

None

Customer Question

none
Category: Car
Expert:  VA-NP replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry but all of your question seems to have gone missing. All that remains is the word "none."
Can you please retype your question so someone can help you?
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question was what is wrong with my 2005 mini cooper that runs hot after driving at a moderate speed of 30mph for five miles
Expert:  VA-NP replied 1 year ago.

I will ask the Moderator to move it to the correct category so someone can help you. You don't need to do anything. You will get another email when a technician answers you. Have a great day! Schuyler ~

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

As a very first check make sure the coolant level is correct / up to the mark on the tank, then I'd first check that the radiator cooling fan is coming on as it should and if thats OK then replace the thermostat in the engine.

Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.

If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi do you still need help?

Bear in mind thatthe site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the siteuntil you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site andthe expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.