Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

My Suzuki grand vitara 2010 has been burning lot of oil past

Customer Question

My Suzuki grand vitara 2010 has been burning lot of oil for the past 3 months I took it to the dealers service dept. and they told me it was because the engine wad dirty and advice me to flush the engine and to fill it with new oil, I have done this 3 time so far and the problem is getting worse it smoke a lot and looses strength when I'm drive it and sometime it make a rattling noise inside the engine. I have stop drive it to prevent it to get worse. please help me.
The engine has less then 50,000 miles. need instruction on how to proceed.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?