Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Pete the tech heklped me out with a problem I had back in

Customer Question

Hello! Pete the tech heklped me out with a problem I had back in May. I have a 2000 Daewoo Leganza. Every car I had owned I always have had a Haynes manual for. No manual for a Daewoo. That's why I'm here. Back in May, I replaced an idler pulley and s-belt.
Pete walked me through this. Now, bigger problem. Replaced the harmonic balancer. It broke apart from the 4 hex bolts and center bolt. The s-belt was the only thing holding it on. I made a mistake when taking the 4 hex bolts off. I did not keep the pulley
from turning using the center bolt while loosening the 4 hexes. Back of my brain housing group was that little voice... "should have". Drove the car for 15 minutes, when home I noticed that the engine was a lot louder than usual. So I checked my work. Tried
to start it again, heard the starter motor do its' thing, but not turning over. Recalling that voice, I watched a video on timing belts, and sure enough after taking the air cleaner and hoses, s-belt, timing belt cover yesterday, saw that the timing belt was
broken. Now, the reasons why I'm here now, is that I have a new belt, but, I do not know the routing for it and I do not know how to set the pulleys/cam shafts for TDC. I left the broken belt on but don't know if it is routed correctly. Nothing of instructions
that came with the new one. Am I right to think that if the belt is broken, am I able to hand turn the crankshaft and both cam shafts to bring them to TDC? If not, I respectfully ***** ***** step by step set of instructions. When I watch some of the videos on
this subject on YouTube, there isn't too many that concerns Daewoo's. I'm just hoping that an "Ask a Mechanic" would be familiar of this type of car. (Don't get me going on how to replace a starter on my car!)LOL. Thank you.***@******.***.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
I have some bad news for you. This engine is an interference engine, which means that when the timing belt breaks, the valves hit the top of the pistons and bend the valves and in worst cases, puts holes in the top of the pistons.
I understand that this is not what you want to hear, but you do need to know what you are facing here
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, Your right, didn't like your answer. It took over 40 houirs for someone to answer. I couldn't wait any longer so I started on it around midnight Friday morning.
Since the belt was broken off, I had to take the valve cover off and loosen up the intake and exhaust cam shafts thus enabling me to TDC the cam sprockets. Put everything back together no problem..Tried to start it, it almost caught on the first try, but the way the plugs are lying flat under the middle cover of the valve, I did the
rookie mistake and not labeling the plug wire set, plus one has about a 4-5 inch cut that exposes the inside wire. So Iljj be replacing them today and sucking the oil
out of the plug holes. I have already submitted my cancellation and giving my opinion on what it feels like to be sitting on my hands hoping that any minute a mechanic
would pull me out of the fire. I didn't read your reply until sunday when I had everything back together. Wow. That would have been a bummer if that had happened.
Was I lucky not to have that happen? Maybe. But you went straight for the throat and that's why I should not give you any ratings. Have a good rest of the day.