Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

05 Range Rover ignition key locked key won't come out tried

Customer Question

05 Range Rover ignition key locked key won't come out tried the battery thing did not work
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
did you try wiggling or pushing the selector lever in P?
does the key turn and operate the ignition normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car does turn on and yes made sure it was it park all the way if you don't know what the problem is just say so this is getting to be a long process
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I do believe that the problem is either the ignition lock itself, or most likely the shift interlock cable. The shift interlock cable gets from the shifter selector to the ignition barrel. And it should lock the ignition keys inside when P is not selected.
The cable is most likely damaged or needs adjustment. That is why i would start by pushing the selector lever forward a bit more than P, to try and release first. Would you be able to check this cable?