FSM09
FSM09, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master ASE Master
74859263

I have a 1969 International Scout that has been restored in

Customer Question

Hi Everyone, I have a 1969 International Scout that has been restored in the last 10 years. Recently I have been experiencing electrical problems and trying to figure out if they are all related or how to trouble shoot the issue. Below are the events and
issues that have happened over the recent history. - Passenger side Break Light/Rear indicator has stopped working .. started being inconsistent and then just stopped - Break light "stick" and sometimes stay on after turning engine off .. depressing the break
turns off most times - When hazards are turned on .. the Passenger side Break Light/Rear indicator WORKS! so nob bulb related - Headlights only work in High Beam ... now don't function in normal beam - The fuel level indicator on panel suddenly stopped working
Thanks in advance for the help .. call on cell if needed. Noah XXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. I am actually restoring a 67 scout right now. Do you know if all of the wiring is completely stock or if anything has been added.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To the best of my knowledge looks like fresh wiring done somewhere along the line but not 100%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is mine
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
Very beautiful Scout. If the wiring is original it will be green. The scout used all green wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be a bunch of green at the firewall .. please see attached images
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
That looks original. Do you have a test light by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that I have a test stick/bulb ... if not can purchase. N
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
You can get one fairly inexpensive. I would see if you can find one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok .. but what is my process moving forward? how do i diagnose what the issues is ..
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
You have a couple different issues going on. For the headlamps it can just be a defective dimmer switch. If the hazard works but the turn signal does this can be a turn signal issue. The fuel gauge is driven off of a voltage regulator on the back of the panel. Is the fuel gauge original? The first thing you want to do is replace the brake lamp switch if it is sticking as it can mess up your signal. Do you have the wire diagram or shop manual for this vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi .. The Fuel gauge is original. I do not have the wire diagram. I will replace the brake lamp switch.N
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
The fuel gauge could have failed if it isn't showing it on either tank. If the other gauges are working you may need a new fuel gauge. If you go to oh only north they sell replacements for a reasonable price.