Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

1969 triumph tr6 won't start. It was running about 6 weeks

Customer Question

1969 triumph tr6 won't start. It was running about 6 weeks ago. The starter motor cranks OK, and I do get current from the coil to the new plugs. However, it just won't fire up. It is getting gas to the dual weber carbs too. I have a new coil, plugs, plug wires and new printronix ignition. any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

you say you have current to the coil and plugs?

but the plugs should have not power to them just a spark on cranking?

do you have a spark at the plugs?

If you don't then check the optical sensor or pickup inside the distribuotr that is used by the printronix unit and check that the unit has 12V going to it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your response.
More info....there is voltage to the coil, voltage to the distributor and voltage to plug wires when cranking. A couple of weeks ago it would start but the minute it went to the on position it would die. I thought then it was my switch so I changed it. I had been told it was probably the Printronix unit so I added a new one but still no change. I have ordered a set of points and condenser arriving tomorrow to try also. Very puzzling
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

OK if there's' voltage to everything but no spark then yes yes a new condenser is the 1st thing to replace

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help ?