Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Isuzu Rodeo: I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 3.2 V-6 The vehicle

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 3.2 V-6 The vehicle runs great. However often it will not start, just turns over very well with new battery, Alternator and belts. Sometime it even stalls out completely as I going down the road, and take many tries to re-start. I have noticed that when I turn the ignition key on, that if the gas gauge needle is moving down or stay on empty, it won't start, however if it is moving up, it will start. This leads me to believe that some kind of censor is telling the engine that there's no fuel to be had. But the stalling out of no where is very strange.
Can anyone tell me what is going on?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,No fuel gauge operation as you explain it is a faulty ECM.Also explains your no start and stalling issue.It will eventually become a permanent no start.The ECM sits on top of the inlet manifold.Hope this helps.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it out at the auto parts store tomorrow. I really hope your right. would it be possible for you to show me this part and location, on my 1996?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
The ECM sits on top of the inlet manifold like in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdLi3grn15gYou'll need a TECH2 to SPS program the ECM and link it to the immobiliser.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I have to take it to a shop with the right programming equipment?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
It would be wise to at least have a diagnostic check done on the vehicle.ECM codes of "fuel gauge error" would be one.Most probably also EEPROM error.The DTCs will tell you which path to take.Gary