Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

KIA Sedons: The engine is overheating. The thermostat is OK

Customer Question

The engine is overheating. The thermostat is OK THE electric fan is OK, and the water pump is OK, the radiator is brand NEW and there NO Engine Codes. What could be the PROBLEM?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. That may have been the original problem that caused it to overheat.
.
However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)
.
The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.
.
Block tester available is:
Napa BK.(###) ###-####
OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE
Part Number:
27145
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search
.
*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***
..
.
If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.
If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is NOT A BLOWN Head Gasket. There is NO Water in the oil. I checked that. I changed the oil with NO Indication of water. The radiator cap is fine . The thermostat has been replaced. The radiator I will check flow like you mentioned. Understand this, this van has never overheated until a week ago and it just did it this once so I am at a loss as to what is, all of a sudden, is causing the heating problem. To me it seems something is plugged up in the cooling system because it gets hot SUPER FAST
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
. That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it..*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ******** ..
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you
from the way you explain the problem,,you may now have air in the system
lets bleed the system this way1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold2-start the engine and let idle3-turn the heater on max4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed5-spme coolant may gush out with the air6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the capThis may take as long as 20-30 minutes
if the bleading doesnt help your problem,,and you have already replaced all these items,,i will think the head gasket is in fact blown,you dont need to get coolant in the oil to have a blown gasket..it depends where the gasket blows,if it blows between the /a cylender and the cooling ports ,,the compression of the cylinder will equalize the pressure in the cooling system and stop the cooling from circulating,thus causing the engine to overheat
again,try bleeding it the way i gave you first
thanksIf you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.