Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I bought a 2002 PT cruzier about 4 months ago. I have had to change th

Customer Question

I bought a 2002 PT cruzier about 4 months ago. I have had to change the bearings in left twice.
Now it quit on me, battery show dead, $103.00, then alternator 5 days ago. When I returned the alt for core charge he did a systems test... only 11.5 Volts. The wire from battery terminals look good
What the hell
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, do you have a voltmeter for some testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I dont. Have you ever worked on a PT?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Yes, I have worked on hundreds of them.
On your vehicle, the voltage is regulated by the PCM(powertrain control module), which is the main onboard computer. It sends a signal to the alternator to increase or decrease voltage.
There is either a break in the field generator wire running from the PCM to the alternator, or the PCM is faulty.
To determine which, a voltmeter is required. You cannot diagnose an electrical problem without a voltmeter.
So, if you can borrow one or purchase one, I can walk you thru the testing. If that is not something you wish to do, then you will need a shop to do the testing
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks