K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

My 2008Grand marquis air conditioning system compressor works finre. When I turn on the M

Customer Question

My 2008Grand marquis air conditioning system compressor works finre. When I turn on the MAX AIR control, cold air starts blowing into the car almost immediately. After a few minutes the air flow stops coming through the dashboard vents but I still hear the sytem "blowing" underneath. Cold air is being generated underneath the dashboard, which can be felt, but it is not as efficient as if it were coming directly through all of the vents. Sometimes it kicks in and sometin-mes it doesn't. Is it a bad thermostat or relay or a sticking damper?
My dealer says the entire dashboard control has to be replaced for $1,000 parts and labor.
Category: Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, there's and electronic actuator that controls the door that directs the airflow from the dash to defrost to floor. This sounds like every other occourence that I have seen over the years of this part begining to fail. Unfortunately labor time to replace it is high as the whole dash must be removed. Book time is 5.5 hours and the part runs around 100 before any kind of dealer mark up. My suggestion would be to have an indepedant shop with ASE certified techs perform the repair as it will be somewhat less costly than the dealer.