sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

3.3 1998 grand caravan. replaced water pump, 2 hoses and

Customer Question

3.3 1998 grand caravan. replaced water pump, 2 hoses and found a 3rd hose that water is pouring out of. piece that hose fits on is broke off in hose. what needs replaced?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

you can usually purchase just the hose fitting. depending on which fitting it is.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Did you figure anything out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we found a hose located under the thermostat housing. It is approx 9.5" long. Where it leads to I have no clue, the view is blocked by a fat wire harness and part of the air condition system. the coupling is broke off with a piece approx 1/8" inside. The other part is inside the hose. I am going to loosen the wire harness so it can be moved out of the way and hope I don't have to mess with AC component. I can send a picture of the piece in the hose and the location on the vehicle if you want. It makes it kind of hard for me since I don't know the proper names for the location and the broken piece.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Picture would be very helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will send tomorrow. I do think the piece is threaded after a closer look at the upper section the HOSE was attached to
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It is likely that it is an AC line then. I will confirm with the picture.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the pictures I told you I would take. Can't figure out how to get them to you. Can you help me out with getting this done? I poured more water in the radiator to see if water was coming from upper line and it is coming from where the piece is broke off.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
You will have to attach the pictures to the reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will work on it and get them to you as soon as I can
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Does your caravan have rear heat? I suspect you are looking for something like this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, it does not have rear heating
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I am going to have to opt out. Someone else will be able to help you. Thanks

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It looks like you need a timing cover. The hose that leaves the bottom of the intake goes down to a fitting on the back side of the timing cover behind the water pump area.
What is shown in this picture I'm all but positive is the fitting that was part of the timing cover, and I'm assuming it was still in the hose you removed from the intake:
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/evGK65Y7/0723152121.jpg
Take a look at the back side of the timing cover behind the water pump area and you should see a hole the same size as this fitting. The timing cover will need to be replaced to correct this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thank you. Yes, the fitting was in the hose when I removed it. I will definitely check out the timing cover. Should the timing belt be replaced as well?
It has a chain rather than a belt. They do get loose with higher mileage and rattle but I can't say I've ever heard of one failing. It definitely wouldn't hurt to replace it while the cover is off though.