Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Yes I need to separate the trany from the engine of a 93 3.9

Customer Question

yes I need to separate the trany from the engine of a 93 3.9 range rover
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Helloremoving the gearbox is quite straightforward1st disconnect the battery and then the starter motor cablesremove the starter disconnect the propshafts front and rear and remove themwhilst supporting the transmisson on a jack remove the rear mountthen you can lower the transmisson on the jack to allow access to the shifter - remove the shifter rod from the leverthen whilst using a 2nd jack or engien hoist to support the engine then remove the ring of bolts that secures the engine to the gearbox bellhousingonce they are all removed the transmisson can be withdrawn off the engine - be careful as its pretty heavy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got the engine completely loose from everything, including the starter and the 14 other bolts that ring the the bell housing, but the trany won't separate.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello there are 2 ring dowels that can stick the tranny quite firmly to the engine block so try levering the two apart to begin with
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?