ITPeter
ITPeter,
30970729

Rust 1982 black anniversary datsun 280ZX turbo

Customer Question

name Graywolff own 1982 black anniversary datsun 280ZX turbo with only 25750 original miles. The car has never seen winters and housed in garage in rochester New York.Everything is mint and original as well as a small rust dime size at each corner of the hood at the bumper.i have been trying to have the hood restored but the hood is perfect except for the two pin hole rust spots mentioned.I do not want to buy a used replacement hood. Want to keep all original. All collision shops say that it will rust out again because the corners are pinched metal and MOISTURE collects there.They advise to buy a hood. NO! I can not understand why they can not repair such a small area. i they used rust bullet and apply it as they repair it why would it not prevent the rust from moisture accumulation.Tge car is in demand by everyone who sees it. XXXX if you use XXXX it will not go to junk.Perhaps use both.Bud DeWolff addition info. i have been told that the rust is common at the pinched corners. I would like them if it is repaired not to paint the whole hood as the areaS re really small. for difference of texture from new to old I could placs a decal at each corner of a weolfe typical of my name, like ypour opinion and recommendations

Category: Car
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bud!
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
I have no idea why those shops will not repair such small rust spots.
This type of work is very common in other places.
See a video here of how the small rust spots are repaired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQqboNzKQ3c
Using rust bullet, placing decals over the repaired spots, and keeping the car garaged would all help prevent the rust from redeveloping at the pinched corners.