Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mazda 3: 2006 Mazda 3 with Automatic Climate Control. Evaporator

Customer Question

2006 Mazda 3 with Automatic Climate Control.
Evaporator temp at dash 60 deg. Unable to dial temp knob below 60 deg.
Ambient temp 75 deg (taken just in front of grill). Low side 35 psi, High side 220 psi with A/C operating. Windows open, fan High. No difference whether air is recirculating or outside. Location: Western Washington with RH of about 50%.
1. According to specs in 2011 Haynes HVAC Tech Manual pressures seem to be in range or a little high. What is your opinion?
2. Why is Evaporator temp not lower (closer to 40 deg)?
3. Why can temp control knob not be dialed lower than 60 deg?
4. If there is a problem, what is solution?
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
The pressures are in range (200 to 225 high pressure and 30 to 45 psi the low pressure).
The control knob will indicate the temperature wanted inside the vehicle. It cannot (due to program) be set lower than 60 F. On other models it can be as high as 75 f (the lowest possible setting).
Having these readings (as the evaporator temperature is at 40 as well), i would say this is perfectly normal operation of the system. If you want to see lower evaporator temperatures and colder air, you need to close the windows, put it on recirculated air mode, and the fan at the lowest speed.
Get back to me on the temperature of the evaporator (using the conditions set above for around 10 minutes) so we proceed accordingly.
And do you have a specific problem with the system, other than feeling that is a bit low on performance?
Was the air filter (cabin air filter) checked or replaced?
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billy,
You did not read my question correctly. I said Evaporator temp at dash was 60 deg., not 40. I have already learned from another mechanic that Dial cannot be set lower than 60 deg.. Your response 3 days later, was too long of a delay. I am having the auto evaluated at a shop specializing in Automobile A/C and Electrical problems. I am sorry I wasted my $20 on you and will not make the same mistake twice. Jim
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jim,Again, i do apollogize for the delay. However, i would like to stick with you, and provide any needed info or assistance if needed. If not, just get back to me, and i will report this to custmer service.