Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Suzuki Areio: I have a 2003 Suzuki Aerio that idles fine but

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Suzuki Aerio that idles fine but when you give it gas almost dies its like its starving for fuel, I replace the fuel regulator there does seem to be fuel coming out of the fuel lines when the car is on. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello This could be anairleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by theECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allowthe engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.As its amechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimeshear a 'hissing' noise with the enginerunning. Check the hoseclips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and alsoall the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missingparts. The best way tolocate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas/propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found yourleak.Now you mightthink that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however theflash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or sparkto set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your waythrough each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use aslightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can oflighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas intoeach area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. It’s also worthgetting the fuel pressure actually measured with a gauge as just checking if there's fuel is only half the story Might also be worthcleaning out the idle speed control motor / valve as these get clogged up withcarbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off. Might also beworth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs ofcorrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter andrun the engine without it.if the enginecondition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it isfaulty Air leaks are verytemperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat,so the weather and engine temperature can effect them. This leads them tobe quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks its also worthcleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposedsensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that thecleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue On no accounttouch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile