Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

I have a squeaky noise rubbing on my brake discs . when i brake

Customer Question

i have a squeaky noise rubbing on my brake discs . when i brake the noise stops until i take foot off pedal then it comes back.
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
This can be caused by a couple of things.
There is an early warning device built into the brake pads so that when the pads get worn and are close to needing replaced it will make this noise. The confusing part is that it stops making the noise when you apply the brakes, and makes the noise when you dont! Just the opposite of what you would think but what it does is put pressure on the EWD (early warning device) and wont squeek.
The other thing is if the brake pads are glazed from all the heat they generate and the only way to get rid of the noise is replacing the brake pads.
I see that you mentioned the pads were cleaned and "greased" hopefully it was just the brake caliper slide that was greased because you sure dont want any on the pads themselves.
There is also a compound that you can apply to the BACK of the pads that will dampen vibration that can cause it to squeek.
If you have any questions feel free to reply!
If not, please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Larry