Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

Power steering

Customer Question

power steering
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Were there any air bubbles in the fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didnt see any

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
try bleeding any air out first. With the engine running turn the steering wheel from stop to stop, right to left and gently against the steering stops. Do this a few times, then drive the car just a foot forward and repeat, just so you don't cause any flat spots on the tires and continue for about 10-20 turns, check the fluid level and see if it improved any.If not, it may be a bad pump. I would make sure the lines don't have any kinks or dents in them first before condemning the pump cause it sounds as though something is causing the pressure relief valve to open prematurely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to replace the pressure relief valve?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What engine is in this?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I haven't found a repair manual as of yet, that would ever mention anything about replacing a relief valve even if it was replaceable. I suppose though if it was replaceable it would be in between the high pressure line and the pump and usually there are screwed right into the back of the pump where the line attaches.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I haven't found anyone selling one yet, but it appears it does unscrew from the pump. I would go ahead and unscrew it, make sure the spring isn't broken and see if the valve is ok. I would assume you could test it by seeing if you can blow air through it with your mouth.Here is a diagram.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
It's either that type, or this type but both do have a relief valve that can be removed. Now finding a new one can be a problem, I would suspect though the dealer, or like I said just making sure the spring isn't broken and the valve isn't clogged.