Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Smart Car Cabrio: My question involves a 2009 Smart Car. This

Customer Question

My question involves a 2009 Smart Car. This car has a history of blowing a fuse which disables the shifter and locks the car in "Park" This recently happened while on the Interstate. This has happened before and required service from a Smart Car Dealer. I was able to retrieve the car and it is now on a trailer in my driveway. Every time I replace the blown fuse it blows again. The fuse is #18 on the fuse panel. Any help would be appreciated since there is not a Smart Car Service/Dealer in the area.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This indicates one of the components this fuse feeds has a dead short in it which is causing the fuse to short out right away or the wiring from the fuse to these components is shorted needing repaired.I would go through and unplug each component this fuse feeds one at a time to see if you come across the component that is shorting out the fuse needing replaced.If no components unplugged resolve this on the fuses circuit then this indicates the wiring is shorted and needs repaired.
Thanks Pete