Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi eclipse SE, and am having trouble

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi eclipse SE, and am having trouble getting it started. I have a battery that is almost 2 years old and when I checked it with an electric meter it measured a little over 12 volts, also checked the alternator and it was reading 14.82 volts when idling. The problem is when I try to start it won't do anything but turn on the dash gauges. If I hook up my portable battery booster the engine starts right away. I cleaned the terminals and the connects and tested everything while it was running and the charging system was working fine. The only thing I can figure out is maybe somehow the battery isn't strong enough to turn the engine over, but it less than 2 years old, any suggestions.
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how far the voltage drops when it wont start....meter connected to battery and key held oll the wat to start it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't check that but all the lights on the dash go out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also there isn't any sound of the solenoid clicking trying to engage the starter.
Yeah i'm thinking a major voltage drop. But really need to know the volts. Can you check sometime tomorrow and let me know. I dont want to take a guess and not be sure.
Have you tried to remove the cables and clean them yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From my past experience when this happens it is usually the battery. I know in this climate that the heat can do a battery in pretty quick. Yes I cleaned the cables using a power steel brush and they were shining when I reconnected them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The terminals were cleaned also.
Yep, its a shorted battery then. You already know the charging system is good.
The meter would have proved it because it would drop to lesss than 9 volts when trying to start and its not enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's my thought, I'll replace the battery tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem. It might still be under some sort of warranty since I purchased from NAPA in 2013.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** needed another opinion don't like to jump to conclusions either.
Your welcome bud.
Anytime!
please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
LJ