Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

I have a 96 dodge caravan that will go revers and nothing at

Customer Question

I have a 96 dodge caravan that will go revers and nothing at all in forward. Maybe a slight lurch but that is it so what do I need to check to determine what I need to replace or rebuild on my transmission?
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Is the check engine light on?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but the vehicle did not have a battery in it for a while for I was doing work to it and I do not know if it had enough time to generate a code before I disconnected the battery again. I replaced all of the fluids in trans engine and replaced all of the break lines and fluid.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well it sounds like you have a broken planetary gear set or front drum hub. The transmission will need to be removed and opened up. Then inspected to see what broke. Or get a remanufactured transmission installed.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well It was working going forward before I started all of the work. Is there any checks that I can do to verify that is the case before opening it up?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Was this problem happening before you replaced the fluid and filter?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my name is Brian
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok Brian, if it was not having this problem before you replaced the filter and fluid, then I am thinking maybe the filter did not seat properly onto the bottom of the valve body, and/or you did not add the required 4 quarts of ATF 4. You may want to remove the pan and recheck that filter before you pull the trans.
Chris