Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Suzuki vitara: I have a 2002 Suzuki Vitara with starting problems,

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Suzuki Vitara with starting problems, The engine will turn over but won't start. If I leave it for a couple of days it will start up for awhile then quit and won't start up again for another couple of days.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor
Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40
and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump
And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.
Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp
Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?