Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Isuzu amigo: i have a 1990 isuzu amigo 4 cylinder 5 speed that

Customer Question

i have a 1990 isuzu amigo 4 cylinder 5 speed that will not turn over, wont click or nothing , try to catch it in gear and the airair conditioner seems to come on in the off position and engine still wont start, have no tach signal to ecm code come up when i checked it, not sure what to do now
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues If OK then check that the main battery cablesare on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine/ gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the startermotor, and check the connection at this end as well. There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wirefor damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to dragdown the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventingthe starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are onthen this usually means that its offIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have done most all of these, except replacing the starter,if the starter was bad wouldnt it start when i tried to bump start it, i do have the chiltons book for this and pretty much tells me what you have told me. i believe i am gonna send it to a garage.not to be ignorant but i am not %100 satisfied at this time ,
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello OK if the engine won't start even when being bumped / towed then its very likley to be a lack of power to the ECU that's shutting down the starter as well this circuit is disabled by the car security system so I'd say its likely that the immobilizer is faulty so I'd tryby disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together. This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default. This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm if this doesn't help then next get the battery on charge to ensure that its not discharged / flat