Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

I have a 1998 4.3 engine in my van and the engine just started

Customer Question

I have a 1998 4.3 engine in my van and the engine just started to hesitate above 30 mph
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.
..

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.
.
.
If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuel pump was just replaced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That means that the fuel pump is new, (which you forgot to mention) but that doesn't mean that the fuel pressure is good. Also, how is the exhaust flow?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I am not set up for that at this time. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
I will try to help you here.
Can you give more details on when it hesitates please. Like does it do it when the engine is hot and cold? Driving under certain circumstances?
As much as you can give me will determine if we can get to the root of this.
Larry