George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

Looking diagram on a 1977 trans am.

Customer Question

Looking for wiring diagram for distbutor on a 1977 trans am. I bought it and they had it direct wired in the fuse box
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me where the wire should go.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I can help you,
I have the factory wiring diagram if that will help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/77.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know how I can help you with it.
Thank you'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George got the diagram. Just not sure where the brown wire from the distbutor goes it's feed in the fuse box now!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you check the diagram you see there is no brown to the distributor the brown wire runs to the alternator. Does it look like the wires were replaced changing the color? The power to the distributor is the pink/black wire from the fuse block. Let me know how much is original so I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no power going to the distbutor that's why they wired it directly into the fuse box. What can I check to see why there is no power? The wire looks like it go thru the firewall behind the fuse box.
Thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
How many wires do you have on the distributor you have installed? Is it an external coil distributor? Can you post a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George
I attached two photos one of the distbutor and the other of the wire I am talking about. That wire runs thru the firewall behind the fuse box. It is direct wired into the fuse box now. But it doesn't start correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated been trying to figure this out for two years!!
Thanks Jeff
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Great, that wire should connect to switched 12 volts so you can cut the power to the coil when you turn the key off, the small brown is the tach wire. It is fuses upstream from the switch so nothing needed between the switch connector and the distributor. Please let me know if that is clear, does the wire show 12 volts with the key on and nothing with the key off? It is wired correctly if it does. Please let me know how I can help Thank you