Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Poniac Sunfire: I am in Estes park in a cabin driving a 2000

Customer Question

I am in Estes park in a cabin driving a 2000 Poniac Sunfire. Before leaving Denver I put in Peak 50/50 coolant even though it recommended DexCool I believe. On our way back to the cabin from Rocky Mountian National Park the temp gauge was PAST the red. I pulled over and the engine was fine but the coolant resivour was SMOKING & super hot. We head back to the city tomorrow and there are tons of roads with NO shoulder! What should I do? Is it the wing coolant? Should I syphon it out? Or go to a auto shop close to the cabin? I get really anxious about stuff like this especially since we are on Mountian roads. Please please, any advice would be great!
-Colorado Kat
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry your having this problemnow that it is cooled off is the coolant low or still filled up ?did you add the peak coolant because the coolant was low in the car or as a coolant flush or coolant service ?is this a 2.4 or a 2.2 engine in this car ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coolant is still full. I added it because it looked super empty. Not sure what type of engine I have
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i would not drive this car and have it towed to the shopwith the coolant full and it overheating there is a possible stuck thermostat or possible head gasket issue or a cooling fan issue