Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 Range Rover, new fuel pump assembly, relays click, no

Customer Question

2004 Range Rover, new fuel pump assembly, relays click, no power to fuel pump. I've read there's an inertia switch but can't locate. Any ideas? Thank you so much
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Yes, I still need help ASAP. The only thing to add is that I jumped power to the fuel pump and had pressure at the fuel rail but no change. Also, there are two keys and one might not release the steering wheel, etc and won't turn but the other will. Then another time the key that worked doesn't but the one that didn't now will. Finally, all cylinders have about 65psi pressure. It was running perfectly, no issues at all then after turning off won't start. The variable valve timing was serviced over 10,000 miles ago. Don't understand the low compression unless maybe the valve timing is off or something. Definitely not the Pistons, rings, head gasket, etc. Because no problems, never ran hot, and all cylinders wouldn't have same compression. Any help is greatly appreciated. Ray. If I don't reply I fell back asleep but please provide any ideas, possible causes and/or solutions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the Range Rover only has 78,000 miles on it. Garage queen and always properly maintained, over maintained. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, complete timing gears/chains (3 I believe) /tensioners etc done at 50000 miles
Hi
You need to address the 65psi compression before worrying about the fuel pump and keys. Even with them resolved, it will not start at 65psi Its 115 minimum and it should be over 160psi. It looks like it has jumped time with the current information.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it have something to do with the electronic variable valve timing? The timing system was replaced not too long ago, and with only 79000 miles it seems odd that it would have jumped time, although I agree possible. It was running perfectly then next time tried to crank, nothing. Oil religiously changed every 2000 miles. I wonder if the immobilizer system is involved. It just seems odd that with this low miles, timing chains, etc replaced, and this meticulously maintained Range Rover would jump time and shut off power to the fuel pump after shutting it off while running perfectly with no sign of any issue whatsoever prior to this. Don't you agree?
You have more than one issue going on. Nothing electronic is going to cause low compression. The fuel pump was not disabled by the low compression. I agree it is odd to have multiple failures at once. I am just saying even if we address the fuel pump power, it will not matter like you noticed when you jumped the relay and forced it to make fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not saying the low compression had anything to do with the fuel pump not getting power. I'm saying that the electronic variable valve timing is one of numerous functions affected by the immobilizer system (basically a secondary anti theft system), as is the power to the fuel pump. If the valves are partially open during the compression stroke it would show low compression. It is definitely too low currently to run, which is likely one reason the valve timing is affected by the immobilizer system. In other words I wonder if the issues are because it thought it was being stolen for whatever reason and activated the immobilizer system, thus causing these symptoms and keeping the vehicle from being started by changing valve timing (resulting in low compression), shutting down fuel pump, and whatever else it controls (my understanding is about 7 different systems).
Sorry but I am not seeing us on the same page on figuring this out. I think its best I let someone else try to help you. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks anyway. Ray