Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Suzuki Forenza: I inherited a 2004 Suzuki Forenza with 35K

Customer Question

I inherited a 2004 Suzuki Forenza with 35K miles, and really like it. Except it appears the keyless fob is missing, so the dealer wants to charge over $200 a fob to replace it, and I want 2 so it would cost over $400 for the fob plus keying plus setup. So, I found the Autoloc KL400 keyless entry system for $55, and thought I would give it a try. After dealing with useless CS, I spent another $20 on downloading the service manual. I haven’t worked on wiring in 30 years, so wanted to get some expert advice.
Primarily, I just want to get the remote door lock/unlock to work, and ideally, get the trunk unlock to work to, with the KL400. It looks pretty easy, but I want someone to look it over and say "Yes, I can't guarantee it, but this procedure looks right", because if I blow out the electrical system I have to tow the car from San Francisco to Vallejo as Suzuki has no local dealers in years.
1. I can send you the Autoloc manual - pretty straightforward
2. I can send your the Suzuki wiring diagram. It appears I can splice into the harness in the Driver’s kick panel (negative connection to the Door Lock and Unlock wires), but I can’t remove the kick panel because it is held in by the plastic part covering the threshold.
A. Is this the right place to splice?
B. How to I get the driver’s kick panel off, if this is where I should do this?
3. The alternative is to Splice into the control module receiver/connector (I can send you the wiring from the service manual) - it looks pretty easy to do, and then I have a + and ground to easily splice into also. In that case, I just splice onto terminal 10 to lock and 11 to unlock, and terminal 25 for battery and terminal 2 for ground. Is this a better thing to do?
4. I was also thinking of connecting to terminal 24 (which I will enclose from the service manual), the 500 mA wire from the autoloc system, to open the trunk. Will this work, or will I burn something out?
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I do need your help. I called Suzuki and gave them my VIN and they confirmed that the car does not have the remote keyless entry system, so I do have to add an aftermarket product. I am going to upload the aftermarket manual again, the wiring diagrams, and the parts of the manual. I can look for your response and work with you after 3 PM Pacific.
Hi
After looking over the files and the work that will need to be done. I have decided the value I get for this question is no where near the time involved. I am going to opt out and let another see if they want to do this. I can do it but it will take way to much time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My key questions really are:
1. Should I splice into the kick panel or control module receiver/connector? (I prefer the control module)
2. If the kick panel, how do I remove the front rocker panel, so I can remove the kick panel? It doesn't pop off
3. Can I also just splice into the trunk release?