Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Hey I have an 03 duramax, just put remanufactured injectors

Customer Question

Hey I have an 03 duramax, just put remanufactured injectors in with original high pressure lines that I soaked in diesel kleen. The truck is blowing more white smoke than before, and there are at least 4 injectors off balance. What could have went wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Did you program the flow rates of the new injectors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured that they were from the place I bought them from? How would I go forward with doing that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a california emissions truck and I keep getting a baro pressure sensor performance code. Replaced the sensor on the passenger side next to the fuel filter, still have the same code. A LOT of white smoke when truck is running.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
You need a factory scan tool (Tech2) or an aftermarket high end scan tool to perform the settings. Does the scanner your using to read codes also have live data? Can you check the Baro reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The scan tool is a snap on modis. I believe it can read all of this. The previous owner mentioned that the injectors had 50hp nozzles on them, and I put factory size injectors back in. Could this be causing all the white smoke? How can I fix this?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, your Modis should be able to see baro pressure, so that is part of the issue, but I don't think it can code injectors. Look in the bi-directional settings and see if injector coding is listed. And yes, if the ECU thinks it has high flow injectors and they are not it is going to smoke.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idling the flow rate was going from 11-12 mm3. Is that normal for stock size injectors?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
No fuel rate should be around 8-9 at normal no load idle with no accessories on. That could be due to either issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel rate is now at 3-8 at idle.I didn't touch anything, idling rough and still blowing white smoke. Baro is at 99kpa
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, if the flow rate gets much lower it will just stop trying to balance the injectors, it's all over the place because it has the wrong calibration. Did you get that reading at key on, engine off for the Baro? And do you know what your elevation is in relation to sea level?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes key on, engine off, and key on engine on was 99kpa. How can I calibrate the fuel flow rate?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
As I said, it has to be done with a Tech 2 GM scanner or with Pass Through programming using Tech 2 Win. I think maybe the Solus and Verys Snap On scanner can do it also, but I am not sure about that. There is a number on the injector and there should have been a little card or sticker with the new ones, my guess is someone tuned your ECM for the upgraded injectors and now the flow rate is all off because of the stock injectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now will changing that flow rate hurt the motor in any way? Also what do you think could be the answer to that baro sensor?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Well, getting it correct should make it run better. If you just change stock injectors you don't necessarily have to program the new flow rate. It won't idle quite the same, but it should work. But since you have switched the injectors to a different style (stock) and I think someone messed with it (HP injectors) that could be what is what is causing the issue. The 99kpa reading should not set a code so that has me confused but I am kind of curious that maybe someone did a whole custom tune to your truck, which can mess up the Baro circuit. I would be curious to see if the Bro reading changes at all, if not, I think it will set that code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck has a banks six gun tuner on it with the banks iq monitor. So I'm guessing they upgraded injectors when that was put in. Question is, will I need the 50hp injectors the way the truck is setup.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Well, that opens up a whole new can of worms. Your calibrations could be all changed since the Six Gun has a lot of power mods it can make. But I don't know enough about it to advise on the best course of action. Perhaps you could call them and see how the stock tune can be put back in. Most of those will store all the stock parameters and allow you to go back any time you need to. At least that would give you a baseline to start from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got my hands on a tech 2 scanner. How do I proceed with calibrating the injectors?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Module Setup
• Injector Flow Rate Programming
• Display ECM & GPCM Inj. Flow Rates
Record all flow rate numbers with the corresponding cylinders from the control modules. Important: When installing a new fuel injector, ensure that the IQA data number from the yellow IQA Data Tag, shipped with the new injector, is programmed to the correct cylinder
⇒ If any injectors are replaced, go to Reprogram Injector Flow Rates parameter and enter the flow rate number of the new injector to the corresponding cylinder. The flow rate numbers will automatically update both control modules.
⇒ If the ECM was replaced, go to Copy GPCM Inj. Flow Rates to ECM parameter and reprogram the ECM. This will update the ECM with the GPCM flow rate numbers.
⇒ If the GPCM was replaced or the flow rate numbers are not the same for both modules, go to Copy ECM Inj. Flow Rates to GPCM parameter and reprogram the GPCM. This will update the GPCM with the ECM flow rate numbers.
⇒ If both control modules were replaced, go to Reprogram Injector Flow Rates parameter and enter the previously recorded flow rate numbers or the numbers retrieved from each individual injector, to the corresponding cylinders.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only options I have on the tech 2 flash is
diagnostics
Service programming system
View Captured data
Tool options
Getting started
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Tech 2 Flash? See if you have a title in diagnostics called Special Functions, then fuel system, then Injector Flow Rate setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In fuel system, the only things that come up are
Cylinder power balance
Rpm control
Fuel pressure switch
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Try service programming, been a while since I've used a Tech 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's says ecu to be programmed must be installed before request infoRequest info is complete. Tech 2 is ready to connect to PC
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
I don't know why it's not coming up. I am going to release this question and hopefully one of our other experts can help you. I think I'm missing something and I don't want to waste any more of your time. No need to respond, that would lock me back on the question. One of the other experts should pick up the question as soon as I release it. Sorry I couldn't get you fixed.