Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

Suzuki Grand Vitara: 1999 Grand Vitara, Automatic, break lights

Customer Question

1999 Grand Vitara, Automatic, break lights out, car starts but won't shift out of park. is there a fuze somewhere I can't find.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
When the brake lights aren't working and the shifter will not release from Park, this is directly related to the Brake Light Switch. This switch controls the rear brake lights, and it also sends a signal to the Shift Interlock Telling it to release when the break pedal is depressed. First, check the fuse labeled "STOP/HORN" in the fuse box. If it's good, then the problem lies in the switch. It's located at the top of the brake pedal arm. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the Brake Light Switch should solve both problems. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.