Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Rangerover: Mike my 1996 range rover 4.0. Transfer case is

Customer Question

Mike my 1996 range rover 4.0. Transfer case is stuck in neutral I was backing my boat up and accidentally put the trans in neutral and it will not come out what is the most common problems with them
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Most common to cause this issue here is the transfer case electronic shift motor/actuator itself.I have seen this electronic motor fail several times in the past before and had to replace it.If you have applied power and ground to it properly and it did not move to shift the transfer case when the transmission was placed in neutral this usually indicates it is faulty needing replaced.I suspect this is the cause here on your model and is most common.
Thanks Pete