Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Isuzu rodeo: My starter stopped working a few days ago in the

Customer Question

My starter stopped working a few days ago in the middle of a crank. Battery, alternator etc all check out fine. Replaced the starter but it still just clicks and won't turn the engine over. It's a standard And push starting it works. What is causing both the old and new starter to just click Instead of cranking the engine? 1992 Isuzu rodeo
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

assuming your new starter is good, it could be wiring. the ignition switch sends a signal to the clutch switch, located on the clutch pedal, and then goes to the starter solenoid.

I would first start by checking for voltage at the little wire on the starter solenoid. it needs 12 volts with the key in the start position. if you have 12 volts, the starter is bad, if not then check for voltage at the clutch switch under the dash at the clutch pedal. it is a 2 wire switch. if there is power in the start position, check both sides. if only one side is 12 volts then the switch is bad. if you have 12 volts on both sides then it is a wiring problem between the clutch switch and the starter solenoid. if there is no power to the switch then you need to go to the ignition switch to verify power being sent in the start position.

Roy