George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

Rick. What failure modes might a collapsible spacer h

Customer Question

Hi, Rick. What failure modes might a collapsible spacer have?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I am not Rick but what vehicle are you asking about and what has been done to make you suspect a spacer problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a specific vehicle in mind, just want to know major failure modes of collapsible spacers used to preload pinion bearings.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The spacer gets crushed to form the correct amount of shim between the pinion and the bearing. As long as it is not crushed further (takes a lot of force to do that) then it fills the space and the pinion runs on the bearing. If the spacer gets loose through someone backing off the nut or driving the truck in such a manner to jar the pinion gear enough to bend the spacer then there will be play so the ring and pinion teeth do not mesh properly and the bearing will have enough slop to destroy itself.
Some designs are better than others and some do not use a spacer at all. They are shimmed to the proper depth.
Spacers have been used fort many years without issue, they only fail when the truck is abused or the pinion is not installed properly.
Let me know what questions you have so I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I am always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you