Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Land Rover Range Rover HSE: 2003 Range Rover v8 my dad just

Customer Question

2003 Range Rover v8 my dad just bought at auction but no start. When you try to start it it backfires through crankcase. Don't know any history except the carlot who repoed it from the owner said he was working on something under hood and now it cranks but won't start and backfires out oil fill hole - no idea how long it sat
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried hooking up my solus ultra and it would not communicate with it but it lit up the power led
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.
The backfiring sounds like the camshaft timing is off, check the compression on all the cylinders if the compression is good, expect something in the camshaft timing to be the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can these jump time on camshaft very easy. I seen a video online about what they look like with the tool to line them up and do you know what kind of time to pull front and reset all that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a hd diesel tech by trade so I have a few tools . Where can I get info on actual procedure for fixing this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would backfire through crankcase and not exhaust for cam timing ? Any idea on the time to fix this
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, been sick, I am going to open your question up to the other tech's and someone will be with you shortly.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Compression and leakdown test is in order.
Backfire through crankcase would probably be a holed piston.
Probably has dropped a valve.
Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Snapon probe camera I could put down the plug holes and view that would prob be quickest and most definitive don't you think
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Do the compression test first with all the spark plugs out, fuel pump relay out etc.
When find the bad cylinder, the probe camera would be a good visual tool.
Gary