Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

What do I need to put a 2001 BMW engine into an 04 range rover?

Customer Question

What do I need to put a 2001 BMW engine into an 04 range rover? I was told I only need to swap oil pans
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
There is no set procedure on how this is done but you will need to inspect the components on both engines like sensors and solenoids and see if there is a difference.If there is then the engine wiring and computers will need swapped over as well to make this work.A dealer may have to program the computers differently to allow this to operate properly.In allot of cases this is more work then what its worth to replace or swap over an engine like this here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What snout mechanically? Is the oil pan the only part that has to be swapped? Oil pumps the same?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My info isn't showing me the difference between these two engines with the oil pump or oil pan themselves but in most cases the oil pan is formed and designed to fit in the model vehicle the engine came in so there is a good chance the pan would need replaced and the oil pump pick up tube as well to match the pan replacement.
Thanks Pete