Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Car knocks at 40 mph after I stepped hard on the gas, could

Customer Question

car knocks at 40 mph after I stepped hard on the gas, could this be the exahaust system pulled away from the engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. what year make and model do you have? and have you done any work to the car? are you going to attempt to fix yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1991 corvette
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds like a torn transmission mount. Is it automatic or manual ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Put the car in drive and brake torque it. See if you feel the same bang. You need to put the car under a load to see if the car or trans makes a bang noise. Or jack up the car and try to jack up the rear of the trans to see if the rear mount is torn.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bang just at 40 mph. It came after I really floored it. Noise is coming under the front of the car.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is going to be really hard to diagnose over the computer. does it happen consistently or just did it 1 time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just when I reach 40 every time I drive at 40mph. Ever since I floored the car.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok when it happens does it make just 1 bang or can you make it happen more than one time ? Does it matter what gear you are in? Does it seem to make the engine run any different ?