Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

Isuzu Ascender: Engine light on, and rough running engine;

Customer Question

Engine light on, and rough running engine; code indicates "Exhaust Camshaft Actuator" Failure. Is it safe to drive 40 + miles to dealer for repairs. How likely is it that this will fix the rough running, and engine light. The engine has 221 K miles with no major repairs. The onset of the failure was immediate upon starting the vehicle this morning. Are there other failure modes that would produce the rough running engine that should
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the engine is running rough, this will be due to a cylinder misfire that is a result of the faulty Camshaft Actuator. When there is a cylinder misfire, this can quickly damage other parts/sensors in other systems like the Converter and the Oxygen Sensors. So, my advice here, don't drive the vehicle too far or too long. In my opinion, 40+ miles has a strong chance of harming other items. I wouldn't recommend it. There are actually many different things that can cause the engine to run rough, however, with the exhaust camshaft actuator code set, this more than likely is the reason. This actuator plays a significant role in engine timing. So, when faulty, the engine is out of time. With 221k on the engine, I would first make sure the timing chain did not jump. If the timing marks check ok, then suspect a faulty Actuator. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept. If you cannot rate or accept, please reply and let me know!