Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.
49095596

We need to find a way to find where the wire short to the dome

Customer Question

we need to find a way to find where the wire short to the dome light we put a moon visor on over front window and now the dome light stays on
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can there be other than short to said wire we have replaced the door switch and didn't fix it light still stay onion the cab and cargo light as well stays on when we shut the door ruing the battery down so we took the light bulb out
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. Is this a "Moon Visor" secured to the front of the roof and shades the top of the windshield?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
secured with 8 screws through the top
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Chances are that one of the mounting screws for the visor has penetrated the wiring harness for the dome light circuit. Grounding the circuit normally causes the dome lamps to come on. The best thing to do at this point is to start removing the mounting screws one by one with all doors closed to see if removing one of them turns off the dome lamp. If it shuts off, you found the problem. To solve the issue you will need to lower the headliner and repair the wire and route it away from the visor mounting screws..Let me know if this helps and if you have additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that is what we thought it might be and was about to do that take the liner down an see where it was shorting out how do you take the liner down with out hurting it
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes that can be hard to do with out damaging it but basically all that needs to be done is to remove the sun visors and the visor clips and it should easily come down. You may also have to remove the A Pillar trim pieces and possibly the top area of the door opening weather strip.. All you need to do is lower it enough to access the wiring and inspect for damage....Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we took the screws off one by one o see if the short was there but no joy my son has to go to work now so will have to wait till tomorrow to try some other procedure so will try the power source then by un plugging the moon visor then .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your response and help will get back to you when my son get up tomorrow ok.Paul
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
No problem, also check the headlamp switch to make sure it is not faulty or mistakenly in the Dome position...I'll be here when you're ready to continue...I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thank you... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for answer to our problem have not been able to get back to it cause son has to work and see to his bills and seeing his wife who is very sick and in nursing home because of disease that made paralies and almost took her life will get back to you when we get back to the truck ok thanks for helping us. Paul
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
No Problem. Any time...
Just post a reply here when ready to continue...
Good luck with your family and hope all goes well..
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, the Deposit you have posted with JustAnswer DOES NOT credit me until you leave a "POSITIVE" rating... Please Remember, my answer is based on the information you posted here, so feel free to add any additional information you feel may be helpful... Please don't forget to rate my service to complete the transaction...Bonuses are ALWAYS Appreciated!...Need more help? Just ask...you can follow up on this question even after you leave a Rating! If you are not satisfied with my answer, let me know by clicking the "Reply to Expert" Button, and I will be happy to continue helping.