sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Chevrolet Suzuki XL7: Ron.. i was working on my 2008 Suzuki

Customer Question

hi Ron.. i was working on my 2008 Suzuki XL7 changing the battery.. when i went to put covers back. i accidentally dropped my computer on to the battery terminals.. made a quick pop.. now when you turn key on dash display says that about everything on the car is broke. starter won't engage and fuel pump runs constantly.. i would say i blew the computer up!!! :-(
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just need to understand how much possible damage i have done... Should i order a replacement ECU only? or do you think i will need to buy a BCM, ABS, Air bag, YAW computers etc??
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I'm assuming it was the it was the engine controller that was dropped and shorted across the battery terminals. If that's the case then I'm certain that it has failed. If the ECM isn't awake then the engine isn't going to crank, the fuel pump running constantly is another sign of an internal failure. It's possible that damage to other modules was done but it isn't as likely in this case. What you'll need to do is start by checking fuses, if ok then replace the ECM and go from there. Since polarity was reversed to the entire vehicle most likely the damage was contained to the ECM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you sir. We located and ordered a replacement ECU. All the numbers on the case match our old unit exactly. except the serial number and date of manufacturing. It should arrive Thursday. Since all numbers match, should we be able to just plug it in and try starting it... or do we still have to take it to a dealer to be reprogrammed? i have included picture of our ECU as well as the one we purchased. The one we purchased came from a 2009 Cadillac SRX.
It does require programming at a dealer once installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh... boy.. that means a tow truck and an hour's drive.. :-( thank you.. will let you know if all is good once work is complete. i may need to reach out to you again if that is not the only item burned up.
You're welcome and good luck with it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Ron... Hello... i have an update. and still need your help. We took the XL7 to the dealer and had the new computer programmed and it is up and running. However, we have 2 codes.. a P0140 and P0160 code.. which show as bank 1 & 2 aft O2 sensors... I purchased brand new AC Delco sensors and replaced them.. cleared all codes and started car... and after a 5 min ride.. both codes are present again. What should i look for now?
Were these codes not setting previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sir.... before the incident we had zero issues... they installed and programmed the new computer and got us out of the dealer at 6 pm.. and the check engine light came on within 5 miles... but we had to drive it back on our***** i read the code and ordered new O2 sensors figuring i had shorted them... received and installed this evening.. had battery disconnected during the install.. and had zero codes on startup.. withing 5 miles codes came back... i was reading that there is possibly a fuse for the O2 sensors??
EMISO 1 and 2 are the fuses that power the oxygen sensor heaters. You'll definitely want to check them if you haven't.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes sir.. and I just went out and started car.. used my volt meter to verify that voltage is present on both sides of the fuse.
Both fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes sir.. i checked both #17 EMISO 1 and #20 EMISO 2. pulled and inspected fuse. as well as started car and verified 13 volts present on both
Was the module a factory reman ordered by the dealer's parts department?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sir... it was a used unit that they reprogrammed for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on a side note... they told us that there was an open recall on the car... it had to do with a possible leaking fuel pump.. he removed and inspected and found ours did not have an issue... i just found a common issue between the P0140 and P0160 codes.. both say possible inappropriate fuel pressure
http://engine-codes.com/P0140.html
P0140 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2
Possible causes
- Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks may be faulty
- Exhaust gas leakshttp://engine-codes.com/P0160.html
P0160 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 2 Sensor 2
Possible causes
- Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks may be faulty
- Exhaust gas leaks
I remembered it was a used one after my last post.
It's unlikely for a fuel or engine performance issue to cause a downstream sensor code but not upstream.
If there are no exhaust leaks, the sensors are new and this started as a result of replacing the ECM then odds are you bought a bad replacement. I would test the sensor wiring to be sure, but these aren't circuit codes so it isn't very likely to be wiring either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. i will test wiring tomorrow.. do you think that he may have had a programming issue? the Cadillac this came off was running with no engine codes at the time of removal. it was a rear ended car that was totalled by insurance company.
You shouldn't have to worry about a programming issue causing this.