Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Mercedes Benz (Dodge nameplate) Sprinter 2500: I own a 2005

I own a 2005 Sprinter diesel (5 cylinder inline) that uses glow plugs for starting. Yesterday I tried to start it after it had been in storage for about a month - temperature around 35 deg. It started, but just barely, and cut out a lot - did not idle at all. Had to restart it four or five times before it started running normally. On the first attempt I may have forgotten to wait for the glow plugs to heat things up - I am not sure. However, on subsequent restart attempts I know I did wait the requisite time and it continued to cut out and not idle. Finally, after about 5 minutes of carefully feeding fuel to keep it running it smoothed out and ran fine. I let it sit overnight and this morning it started up just fine and idles and runs smoothly. My question is this. If yesterday I had indeed forgotten to allow the glow plugs to warm up during the first startup attempt, could it have led to the the subsequent starting and cut out problems. I am 100 miles from the nearest Mercedes service center and prefer not to drive that far to have things checked out if it turns out that the problem was due to my own error. Might I have damaged something. Again, today it is running fine. Thanks.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it was sitting for a month, the fuel most likely evaporated or drained in the lines, I doubt it was a glow plug problem, have you driven it much since you got it started?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This morning I drove it about 10 miles - no problems

ok, one other thing to ask, if the truck has been sitting for a month, then you most likely have the summer blend fuel in iy, and this does not have the additive to keep the fuel from gelling in the cold, it is possible the fuel gelled slightly, and this would cause the problem, how much fuel do you have in it now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I drove it this morning (and when trying to start it yesterday) the tank was less than 1/4 full. Following today's short drive I filled the tank.

ok, then if you filled it today, then you will have the #2 diesel in it, and it should be ok, I suspect you either gelled up with the old summer blend fuel. or the fuel lines drained when sitting, and had air in them, either way, you should be good to go,Tim