Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

Cadillac SRX: When braking, my 2007 Cadillac SRX makes a clanking

When braking, my 2007 Cadillac SRX makes a clanking sound. Also, when I'm in a garage or in a place where I can hear an echo, I can hear what sounds like a rubbing sound as the car is moving.

do you hear the noise from the back or the front of the vehicle ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe that the sound comes from the front.

ok the scraping noise and the clank sound are coming both from the right front or the left front of it ?

will going over bumps make the noise or only when your braking ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hear the scraping noise on the left obviously because that's on the driver side, so I'm not sure about the right. The scraping noise is particularly noticeable as I make turns.

Oddly enough, the clank sound seems to be more on the right side. The noise will intensify slightly if there is some bumpy road as I'm braking toward an intersection.

Ok is this something you are planning on fixing your self or want a good idea before it goes into the shop ?

im sorry for all the questions but I want to be sure to give you the correct answer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'd like to have a good idea before I take it to a shop.

Ok the scraping noise in the left front can be a few things it can have a bad hub/bearing or the backing plate can be lightly scraping on the rotor or the front brake pads can be worn down causing the noise

as for the noise in the right front again it can be a few things again either a right front hub/bearing or a loose caliper or caliper bracket or possibly the right front sway bar outer link bad or loose causing the noise to a strut or upper strut mount causing it

since the right front noise will make it when stepping on the brake its going to more so be the hub/bearing or the strut upper mount

the good thing is you can duplicate both noises very easy and a shop can nail down both noises well within 1 hour of diagnosing it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you able to provide the typical range of repair cost for each potential problem?

if it is a hub/bearing you are looking at @ $ 350 ish depending on the shops labor rate and parts mark up

outer sway links @ $ 200 ish

upper strut mount @ $ 350 ish

as for the brakes is hard to say it would depend if the rotors can be machined or not and the condition of the calipers and the caliper slide pins / mounting bracket that can very so much until it comes apart and all of those brake components are inspected