ASE Tech
ASE Tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the auto repair field.

Nissan/Datsun Maxima SE: I have a 2001 Nissan maxima I have

I have a 2001 Nissan maxima I have a problem when trying to start it. When I turn the key over it just clicks! I charged the battery cleaned all the terminals and also cleaned the ground all the way to the block. Any idea what could cause this problem, also had the starter tested at the local parts store and tested good!!
This sounds like a possible bad cell in the battery. They will not fully accept a charge. It will look like it charged on the charger and than when under load it will fail.I would try swapping out the battery first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay got the battery tested and it was bad but now it make a clunk sound when I turn the key over? Bad starter?
I would try having someone turn the key while you tap the starter to see if it will free up.It does sound like the starter is possibly bad.